En

A few random thoughts on the famous bill causing sites to go black today

SOPA Resistance Day!

Image by ~C4Chaos via Flickr

Usually we as conceptbakery try to hold back with out political opinions and respect the diversity of our audience. But today is a day where marketers and nearly all other web users can’t really ignore politics. We’re being called to action by sites like Wikipedia, Google or reedit. We wish we were influential enough to turn our site black to make a difference in the SOPA / PIPA discussion. The least we can do is publish this little note.

Trying to just read the law and making full sense out of it is pretty pointless unless you have a very in-depth understanding of the US legal system. We (including the politicians voting on it) have to rely on interpretations of experts. For starters, Chris Heald @Mashable broke it down fairly well.

There are many creative ways of protesting taking place today. The Oatmeal is one that made us smile.

In general we like info graphics. Americancensorship.org has a good one.

OUR TAKE
Information Technology is one of the few innovative growth sectors left in the US. With SOPA/PIPA, we’d make many creators’ lives on the web prohibitively complicated.

By passing this law, our politicians in Washington D.C. would hand over the key to becoming the new lead culture on the web to some other country that wants to grab it. That in return would also hurt Hollywood, which is standing behind SOPA/PIPA. The overall value of our entertainment industry would diminish, as the US itself would diminish.

The biggest trend on the web over the last decade has been social media. One core element of social media is sharing what you’ve found on the web with others. The sharers usually don’t own the rights to the content they are sharing. Any site that supports this user behavior will be affected by SOPA’s anti-piracy law. We think YouTube has found a very viable solution to address many copyright issues on their site by putting ads on videos appearing to be a copyright violation, and then sharing the ad revenue with the creators of the original content.

Of course, conceptbakery would also be affected. We’d be afraid of litigation. We’d probably have to take down some of our client campaigns today. Our insurance policy would quite likely be canceled or become prohibitively expensive. Our clients would quite likely re-allocate some of their budgets in safer areas where they have less to fear. And most importantly, we’d have to think about each one of our projects involving user-generated content. We love when anyone of you has something to share with us, but with SOPA/PIPA we’d have to be much more careful in monitoring you.

As a German-American agency, we’ve already dealt quite a bit with the shallow legal waters in Germany. They’re often a hassle: Remember when Germany tried to ban the Like button? But even Germany doesn’t have the high punitive damages we have in the US. We’re pretty sure lawyers in the US will love SOPA/PIPA. They’d have a field day! Unfortunately, US law firms can’t sell equity to non-lawyers. Otherwise, that would be the only silver lining: you could go and grab some shares if these laws pass.

HOW DO WE GET OUT OF THIS MESS?
Even the strongest opponents of SOPA and PIPA admit that online piracy is not a good thing and needs to be curbed. Can it ever be prevented without measures severely impairing the functionality of the internet as we know it? Quite likely not. That would be similar to trying to make the US borders 100% secure. 98 or 99% might have to do unless we want to make sacrifices most of us aren’t willing to accept.

What we have been missing prior to the presentation of this bill was a valid process to find a consensus. It appears that this was hashed out in some back room by lobbyists. For a long time, Hollywood and Silicon Valley have been at odds on the online piracy issue. Why couldn’t both camps elect some of their smartest leaders and work out something together that addresses the needs of both parties? We should make sure that this group isn’t just dominated by big business and the start-up / developer community is represented in this circle as well. In order to protect the culture of the web, we need to maintain an environment where the little guys still have a chance to hit it big. We can’t have any barriers protecting big businesses just for the sake of securing their status.

Our suggestion would be to kill SOPA and its Senate sister PIPA  and start from scratch. There are more qualified people out there than the people who’ve been working on this so far.

Will the damage be reversible once it is done? Let’s hope we don’t have to find out.

Enhanced by Zemanta
  1. 21 Responses to “A few random thoughts on the famous bill causing sites to go black today”

2. By Dave Taylor on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Agree completely. Lots of inflamed rhetoric on both sides of this argument, no question that there is an issue of stolen intellectual property online and the subsequent loss of revenue, but SOPA and PIPA, even as recently amended, do not seem to be the solution that lets us retain innovation while simultaneously curbing piracy. Interesting times…

3. By Klaus_Holzapfel on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like someone has to do the hard work and figure out the best approach, find a consensus and then actually get someone in Washington to support it (without getting bribed for that).
    I hope today served as a wakeup call that the issue won’t go away by itself. It will be resolved by politicians and lobbyists unless we take matters in our own hands.
    I conclude in "pirating" your last words: Interesting times… (I hope I won’t get sued for that :)

4. By hamilton beach 67608 big mouth juicer on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

The types that are available are numerous and you can choose your pick from the
    ones that range from hand press models to ones that are electrically operated.

To take hold of this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go
    and be held by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow that I too will be
    brought back to pools of stillness. As its name
    implies, the boat itself, created by an act of Congress in 1916, is the country’s only full-fledged floating
    post office with the power to cancel mail.

5. By diabetes deactivated review youtube on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

If you would like to learn more researched tips to help you cure diabetes in less than 4 weeks, please visit us
    now. Then we compound the problem by flooding our
    bodies with huge quantities of sugar. A product called Genera Sylvestra also known as Sugar destroyer is found in Indian forests and is prescribed in Diabetes by Ayurvedic doctors which is taken with coriander juice.

6. By drunk driving statistics in New Orleans on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

I was able to find good info from your blog posts.

7. By water damage restoration services Fayetteville on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Can I simply just say what a comfort to discover
    somebody that truly understands what they are discussing on the net.
    You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More people need to check this out and understand this side of your story.
    It’s surprising you’re not more popular because you definitely possess the gift.

8. By roof repairs cost Kennesaw on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new
    initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful
    information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

9. By wlan router bestenliste on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Thank you, I have just been looking for info about this subject for a while and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far.
    However, what in regards to the bottom line?

Are you sure about the source?

10. By water damage restoration services Myrtle Beach on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled
    blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward
    to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website
    in my social networks!

11. By Forest on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Thanks foг some other magnificеnt article.The place else maay just anybody gget tyat kund
    oof informatioon in such an ideal maner of
    writing? I have a presentation next weеk, and I am oon the look for such info.

12. By Heaven Sent Floor Care on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Hello, I do believe your website may be having web browser compatibility issues.

Whenever I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet Explorer,
    it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Aside from that, great blog!

13. By what size hail will damage a roof Suwanee on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment
    is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is an easy method you can remove me from that
    service? Thanks!

14. By roof leak repair company Fort Worth on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

For hottest news you have to pay a quick visit the web and on the web I found this website as a most excellent web page for latest updates.

15. By repair roof shingles Smyrna on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info.
    I am glad that you simply shared this useful info with us.

Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

16. By Find a cabling contractor on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

The below showcases an instance of TIA/EIA -606 Industry Standard
    Labeling as used by Palmetto Cabling.

17. By What is the best soundbar on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

I am curious to find out what blog platform you have been using?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more safeguarded.

Do you have any suggestions?

18. By moviestarplanet hack password on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

People come with a wide range of passions and interests
    and virtual worlds cater to individual likes and desires. Many branded stores have replica clothes and accessories,
    which are available at a lot cheaper prices. The truth is that Hollywood cranks out golden ages each
    decade with new innovations and new stars.

19. By Castle Clash Cheats on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

Hello. I noticed your blog title, ” for and from the curious” doesn’t really reflect the content of your internet site.

When composing your site title, do you believe it’s most beneficial to write it for Web
    optimization or for your audience? This is one thing I’ve been struggling with because I want good search rankings but at the same time I want the
    best quality for my site visitors.

20. By Spill Automaten on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a amusement account it.

Glance complex to far brought agreeable from you!
    However, how can we keep in touch?

21. By hamiltonbeach 67608 big mouth juicer on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

Although you’re taking a risk, you can attempt this on your own. Outside cleaners have
    to do a good job, or they don’t get invited back. The number of expected wedding guests must also be kept in mind
    including the proportion between relatives and friends.

22. By best flat roof repair company in Fort Worth on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

Thanks , I have just been looking for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far.
    But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the supply?